Monday, April 20, 2009

When the planets align

You know the planets are aligned when you suggest a trip to Melbourne that involves a visit to a patchwork shop and Mr Ric-Rac enthusiastically agrees and wonders if I could possibly manage to drag the visit out for at least an hour so he can pop off and do something in the next suburb!

Could I?

thankfully the shop was Amitie. Now if this is a place you have to get stranded in , you are onto something wonderful.
This was my first trip to the store and I was greeted like an old friend and introduced to everyone in the shop, in fact I am still not sure who was working, who was browsing and who was shopping. Everyone was chatting and sharing and laughing and running out to put money in parking meters. The shop itself is lovely - lots of room and bright and airy...... even their scraps look good.

I ran into PatchAndi there who showed me the quilt top she had made the night before (go over to her blog she has already finished it). I just kind of murmured over all the quilt discussions as it is soooooo not my strong point. I love the off set little pictures in each block though. Andi had just popped in during her lunch break (How dangerous would that be?)

Did you Australian bloggers know you can join Amities VIP Blog group? I have been a member for ages and four times a year I get a little parcel with fabric inside, sometimes a pattern-always something to get excited about. I always forget about it in between times and then it is a great surprise when it arrives . (Hmmm I sound like such a Nanna don't I?)

I bought surprisingly little fabric while I was there.....but that is because I was on a mission......


Oh yes - this stuff is divine. Beautiful over dyed wool. As soon as I saw this on Amitie's blog I could not get it out of my head. They got it in especially for a class But this stuff is screaming toys to me.

It is the most seriously delicious stuff I have seen in ages. I also have the most beautiful dark squid ink purple that I am busting to use. I haven't got any real ideas for the toys yet , I'm just letting it all brew away in the brain for now.

Remember Milton, and his SISTER ? Well while I was sewing with the wool felt for their faces I totally fell in love with it and placed a teeny tiny order with Sandra over at Winterwood. It arrived today. Annie was at my place after work checking out how tidy my sewing room is (as a result of the EITTTS) and we opened the felt.........




and the planets aligned. This wonderful stuff combined with the wools I got at Amitie???

Oh man, somethings brewin'

38 comments:

  1. Oh I want to come to your place and play with your new purchases. You're right, the felts and wools are going to be beautiful together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you last week.
    You really should try to get down to Bentleigh more often. Such a lovely friendly place to be and SUCH delicious fabric ... always!!!
    Can't wait to see what you make with all that divine felt and wool.
    I'm sure it will be fab!!
    Andi :-)

    PS I have started saving you my selvedges. I'll let you know when I've got enough to send over and get your snail mail address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, such lovely colors of wonderful wool. I can't wait to see what you do with them! (Ahem, may I remind you that we are STILL waiting to see the green and white quilt??? oops, didn't mean to nag. :>})

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those wools are just so yummy, love those colours. I'm off to follow your links!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That wool is the sort of beautiful fabric you just want whether there is a project in mind or not... just to own and stroke it occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, oh man, (well you get my drift), you are in the DANGER zone. An Amitie and Winterwood hit within one day is rather a double whammy. Enjoy the brewing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew you wouldn't be ill for too long! Glad to see the beer/wine/choc/rest has worked well! Ok, so it was the yummy fabrics that did it really but I'm sure the prescribed medicines helped too!

    Can't wait to see what you're brewing!

    Locket xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who knew that a visit to a quilt shop was the cure for a case of eittts? Must remember that for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. uhoh! hold onto your hats everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the tip on felt...
    my supply in town has dryed up...probably because i bought it all and love to find another place to grab it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, little? That looks like a lurvely stash of Winterwood felt there Jod. I've bought their stuff before and it is divine.
    Sounds like a dose of retail therapy is just what you needed.
    Can't wait to see what comes of this new combo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They were simply scrumpalicious!!! Thanks for sharing the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful wool! IT makes me want to start dying my own!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see what you'll do with all that beautiful wool, something fabulous I'm sure! My sewing mojo has been gone lately too, I have new patterns and new fabric and can't sew a damn thing!
    Hope I snap out of it soon -

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh yuu-um. They look good enought to eat. I really want to do a quilt but the EITTTS paralysis, has a side effect of fabric cutting anxiety! that and I dont know what the heck I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH SQUEEE!

    I wouldn't know what I'd do with the wools, but the colors are delicious! They'd look great in my stash. LOL. That's how most of my fabric purchases go: oh I love those colors, I must own them now! But no project in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious- such wonderous colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all of your fabric. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow all those lovely fabrics - the wool looks really nice. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  20. That wool looks just divine.
    I'd have to eat my credit card if left alone in Amitie for an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to come and play in your sewing room. Those wool felts are divine. Gosh Mr Ric Rac is a nice man. Fancy letting you go off and play in a fabric store...vbg.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know, how AWESOME is that felt from winterwood. It's like felt CRACK for crafters. It's divine.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You know, you should make it a weekly thing and come up on Thursdays to Amitie for Perle 8s!

    I saw the wool there last Thursday and was so sad because I didn't have any cash on me! But hopefully it's still there this Thursday because I am emptying the ATM before I rock up for sure!!

    ~Holly

    http://twocheeseplease.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. How lucky are you getting told to fill in some time in a patchwork shop while mr ric rac went on his own mission. I am sure my husband would be too scared to.
    Can't wait to see the product of that brewing! I am sure it will be superb.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh.my.gosh would you look at that first photo...they have the fabric organised on bookshelves, and they look like the spines of books!!!!! I love that so much. A fabricbookshop.

    Of course, I wouldn't know what to do with it all..that's why I'm waiting impatiently for your next "reveal" Jodie!

    P.S. Those felt colours should be shelved in the children's fairytale section of the fabricbookstore, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  26. fab fets, such gorgeous colours. I got to go into two quilt shops while away in the states, i bought a few small pieces of fabric but not loads, I don't quilt, i haven't tried and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get a remotely straight line if i did try. still i have some scrummy fabrics to play with.

    *yawn* jetlag sucks

    ReplyDelete
  27. Damn, I just drooled all over the keyboard. What gorgeous, GORGEOUS fabrics. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Aaah! Lovely fabrics! Amitie is an old friend.... it is a bit of drive for me, and when I do go there I spend way too much money! The ladies there are also only too accommodating in sending me phone orders! We need more shops like this in Melbourne! By the way, love your blog and your work!

    ReplyDelete
  29. After hearing all you Vic gals raving about the felt from Winterwood I also bought some via mail order - it is an absolute delight to open the package - actually, I don't even know that I could damage it's beauty with scissors??? I may just have to pin it on top of my jumper???? thanks for the heads up on the Amitie wool - I've got an inkling for another Fedora...

    ReplyDelete
  30. So much fun! I love all those wonderful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Something wonderful is brewing for sure. I have bought felt from Winterwoods before and once you buy their felt everything else is like crap! Have fun brewing and YAY! for astronomy:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Delicious acquisitions! :-) I love working with wool on softies too - texture and softness is a plus. Looking forward to what becomes of your new stash.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh the felts are achingly divine! Must make a trip up there one of these days :)
    I laughed my head off over EITTTS by the way and have written a quickie blog and linked you if thats ok. A true Crafters malaise!!Love it!! Thanks so much
    Irene x

    ReplyDelete
  34. totally luscious! can't wait to see what comes out of the creative head of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So much temptation and so many crafty treats. Lovely colour combinations too. Can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good to see you made it to Amitie such a great place to lose at least a couple of hours and find some amazing treasures as well as friends. Looking forward to your adventures with wool felt! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. oh yes I miss amitie. It was a bit of a drive for me but hubby would drop me off there, keira loved the dolls house and everyone was oh so friendly! I wish I was in melbourne just to be able to shop there!!!!

    Corrie:)

    ReplyDelete

Hellloooooo !!!!