Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Step 2. Fantasy versus Reality or Will it really work?


For me Step 2 is where it often gets ugly. This is the most dangerous point if you are a project at my place, the point at which you are statistically most likely to be abandoned*
This is where I have been percolating an idea in my head for some time and now need to try and bring it into reality. Often my ideas are simply not do-able due to my lack of skills, lack of materials or just because they are ridiculously impossible.

Getting it on paper.
The biggest problem I have with this step is the fact that I cannot draw. I see other people little snippets of their sketch books and things on blogs and I groan..... I know I draw badly so I have learnt to live with it. I know what I mean to draw...... but my hand and brain just don't communicate.
I tend to draw on whatever piece of paper is handy, and with whatever pen/pencil/finger dipped in blood is nearest. I have so many sticky notes with little faces and things on them it is ridiculous.

BUT for me getting it onto paper is really important. I have folders of crazy stupid bits of paper. Ideas that I have had that did or didn't work, ideas yet to see the light of day and things that will probably never even get attempted.

I draw them, write them down, annotate them, leave notes for myself about them. These folders are a great tool, and I often flick through them when I am bit lost in the crafting jungle or feeling mojo-less. I tend to think of so many things that I want to try and create that I force myself to put everything on paper......once it is on paper, I know that I can come back to it, so I can let it go and move on.
(At this point you need to know that I often draw and re-draw things a few different ways and the whole project might change. *This time I hit upon a far better idea and normally would have rushed straight into it and forgotten poor Milton ,but he is the star of this series so I have decided to keep him till he's finished.)

Materials:
Once I have a few things on paper I turn to materials. Often the project dictates the materials, does it need to be soft, is it going to be played with? Colours? textures? For Milton, I want to add a bit of detail so I have a few options.
1. Embroidery - Definitely not my forte and not quite the look I am going for. So if I am going to add the detail with fabric I need something that won't fray.


2. Fleece - Oh man I want to love fleece, I see the amazing plush creations that people
make using fleece and I really really want to use it. It is versatile and it doesn't fray
(very important for this project). So here is where I start to play.

I take the fleece that I have in the house (at this point colour and shape don't matter) and experiment with it. I sew it to itself and to some other fabrics. I try a few things like raw edge applique, blanket stitch and just a folded over and sew style. But in the end I don't love any of it.

3. Felt - The felt I have that I use for my dolly hair ,whilst gorgeous, is just not robust enough for Milton, I do have some great stuff I got from Winterwood though. I rummage through
and find a flesh coloured piece and finally feel I am on the right track.
OK. So I fiddle through the cupboards, waiting for something else to leap out at me...Eventually I end up with a mix of vinyl, denim, fabric and felt.

I then spend some time, again, sewing them to each other to make sure it will all work before I launch into the project.
Am I always this anal? No, not really but working with things like vinyl can be tricky so I like to make sure before I......
make a quick trip to spotlight (because I seem to have to buy something for every bloody project I start) and get a bit more vinyl.

I test out a few things...Can I free motion embroider on vinyl? Yep turns out I can. I probably won't for Milton but at least now I know I can if I want to.

.....anyway that's kind of like what step 2 is all about for me, just experimenting a bit and fiddling a bit before I can get down to the sewing. This step often takes me just as long as the actual construction.....who said anal?????

(That would be step 3- Actually bloody starting!)

30 comments:

  1. He's looking like my kinda Milton!! Love those glasses!!

    I'm enjoying hearing how you go about designing things. I should take a leaf out of your book and start by putting pencil to paper, even if only to write down ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to leave a comment on your last Milton post to say that I can't draw so that is why I never make softies. I actually would like to make a caricature doll of a friends husband but can never even work out an acceptable picture. I still think you draw well. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jodie. I used to think that drawing was important, but have grown to realise that it's not really, projects just seem to evolve into what you kind of thought them to be anyhow. I find that colouring-in doodles and drawings helps, even if just in one colour on one spot - it just helps the design stand out of the page and inspires you when you pick it up again. I tend to get so excited when my mind is buzzing that even my notes are incoherent! So long as you can read your own diagrams you're doing good! I think you're great, love your motivation and enthusiasm...it's infectious! V x
    ps... ooh, the word verification 'word' I need to type is "retro" - how cool is that??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for explaining your design process Jodie. We all have different ways of tackling this so it is very interesting to share our ideas and techniques. I look forward to following along with step 3. Milton's looking good!!
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving milton...i know exsactly how you feel about changing projects mid way...i start one, get side tracked on an idea that seems to pop out of no where and then make myself finish the one i have started...all the time dreaming of the next...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this step by step tute Jod. I've often wondered how you do it. And that Milton, he is going to give Johnny Depp a run for his money!
    Oooh, I bet he has a briefcase too! Love a geek boy with a briefcase....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my ... he's awfully handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it funny - that's exactly how I imagined Milton to look! Great step 2 Jodie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason, he reminds me of my maths teacher...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your creative processes! Milton is looking pretty cool! Wish I had one in my life...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Jodie, I have to say you have exceptional scissor skills!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how Milton is turning out! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Milton is looking very cool! I'm another non drawer - my girls are way better than me already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So far so good, he looks just like your drawing....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope I don't ever meet the real Milton, Jodie; I would have such trouble keeping a straight face! Enjoy the break; are you still in your PJs? Happy Easter to everyone at your place - and the kinder kids and Milton too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder if the REAL Milton could have ever guess he's be a softie celeb.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Milton is looking pretty darn handsome at this stage. I'm following with interest. Darn it if I knew you were going to Spotlight I would have sent a list...vbg.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Who knew so much was involved before anything actually gets started? I usually jump right in and fail, but I much prefer your style. Hmmm embroidered vinyl has me thinking (probably not a good sign)....
    Tell Milton that I want my red glasses back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Milton is shaping up just as I imagined him! You are such a clever person. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love Milton and love the post. I can't draw either so I usually skip that step and just jump straight in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL. I'm loving this series of posts. I have sooooo many projects that never make it past this stage its untrue. Glad to see it's not just me though.

    Milton is looking rather spiffy with his red glasses. Can't wait to see the rest of him.

    xMx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Milton looks adorable!! I can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Milton's face is too cute. I can't draw either and I design and screen-print fabrics for a living. Photos and photoshop are my good friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ive said it before and I'll say it again. You are a clever lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fab to watch the creative process at work. He's looking marvellously speccy so far. Not sure, though, if I were a lady dolly, that I'd fancy him much. Poor Milton, hope he's not too screw-driver-nerdy to get a laydee x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seriously cute!! Can't wait to see Milton come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, you can draw! Remember the very cool paper uniforms you made for your fleet of dollies? They were simply charming - they looked like a scout troop ready for an outing.

    Please please don't be so involved with Milton that you forget to show us the finished green and white quilt. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  28. He looks great so far! The funny thing is, he looks like my sixth grade teacher, also a Milton!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm loving this Milton series, he looks fabulous! And I wouldn't worry about the drawing - I spent 4 years at art school, but the drawings in my sketchbook look like the aftermath of a game of Pictionary. I get so excited about getting something down on paper there's no time to worry about how pretty or good it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh! Planning before doing! That would explain why so many of my sewing projects go wrong- I grab the perfect material and just go for it, and then get frustrated when I learn little lessons and have to redo the project with another piece of perfect material. I'm going to do rough drafts from now on- thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete

Hellloooooo !!!!