Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Can you elasticise my life?

I need some elastic. A huge piece of elastic. I want to elasticise the whole of July. - I just need it to stretch around about another six or seven days so I can fit everything in.

So far the green fabric has almost all been transformed into ginormously long curtains, and the frock is next. The hem is about 3 inches longer on one side than the other. You've got to love sewing for costumes - if the audience is far enough away , you can get away with some shocking stuff. Three inches is a bit obvious though.


On Sunday I went to the Melbourne design market - it was crazy ! Soooo many people in a very little space, lots of patiently waiting to be able to squeeze in to see things - but what things there were to see.

I bought some fabric from Lara and while I was there I got to meet Pip and Kirsty and have a quick catch up with Angela . I am becoming a bit of an old hand at meeting bloggers- seriously these girls are just as regular and down to earth and welcoming and lovely as you would expect - or even more so. They were flat out !!! and they still stopped and hugged and chatted as if they had nothing else to do.

I do believe Mr Ric- Rac also made a purchase of the birthday-present-now-artfully-hiding-in-the-undies-drawer-variety. (ooh not that it is undies of course- it just that is where he hides everything!)


Kits are coming along - I am enjoying this far more than I thought I would, but gee there are lots of bits and pieces to organise.

Of course whilst I am busy "doing", my brain is busy dreaming and I have ideas and things just bursting to be done that I can't get to yet. The whole concept of screen printing has been haunting me since I did the first little birdcages. I can't stop thinking of things I could do if only I could make bigger screen prints. I have started googling screen printing kits.

Now before I jump headlong into another little craft adventure, I'd really appreciate any tips, info, tales of woe you guys can share about screen printing - I mean it would be dreadful if I went and got all the stuff and it was a total flop or a bit too involved and then I only ever used it once wouldn't it?

(Editors note: Please do not be fooled the mock sincerity of that last paragraph. If she gets to this point , no matter what you say she will have to try it for herself - she is obsessive I tell you . Trust me I've been here before (ahem)........... raffia hat making, candle making, mosaic, wire work, puppetry, dressmaking, felting, resin casting, needle felting..........

35 comments:

  1. If you work out how to elasticize July please let me know..I need a few more days too!
    Wasn't the market fab....and sooooo many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. elasticise for me too please. A week should do it, I'll settle for 3 or 4 days though. Thanks ;)
    I am getting so very giddily excited by those kits - I've practically rubbed my hands away to nothing in hand wringing glee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. listening to the editor's notes it would seem pointless in saying anything really - so just enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You better take a look at what Lara is up to now then!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of newspaper and old clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the person who finally manages to package and sell "spare time" will be a rich person indeed!

    Oh no - it looks like I missed out on a fantastic event! I didn't even know it existed :( I'd love to meet all these blogging ladies sometime (you included!).

    ~Holly
    Two Cheese Please

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks suspiciously like a Dorothy dress... is it? Great work!
    Ah the fabric. I have market envy seriously. Just love the green one.
    Great one Mr Ric-Rac. Love those husbands who get the really big hints thrown at them from time to time.
    And those kits are going to blast off the racks. I'm sure you can at the very least fund a seriously chocolate addiction with the profits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha ha ha...I just bought a gocco printer...which may go the way your screen printing might...

    good luck with "exercise elastication"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of elasticizing time! I say go for the printing... sounds like you're going to anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You clearly need to speak to Hermione from Harry Potter - in one of the books she gets a special time-thingy so she can go to all the lessons - perhaps she could lend it to you?

    Laughed at your editor's note - you and I sound so alike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well if you are as good as all the other ventures, I say go girl! What is the costume for? And I want to see the green ginormous curtains. And the birdcage patterns look cool. I want me some fabrics like that too.
    Vicki K

    ReplyDelete
  12. love blogger meets and had the BEST day when I met up with you.......

    ReplyDelete
  13. That would be great if you could elastice July for all of us!!Never enough time I say! It sounds as though you had a lovely day at the market-I have never yet met up with a real life bloggeing friend but would love to one day. Good luck with your new venture-I am sure it will be successful-I know what you mean about having a bigger screen-sorry I can't give you any screenprinting tips as I don't know any!!-How about Have fun but I think you always do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pretty sure you already pack more into one month then we mere mortals do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh oh, let me guess...you're outfitting the Wizard of Oz cast, right?
    Cute costume!
    And that fabric! I'm in love with the green bubbles one.

    Be sure to let us know if you figure out how to sqeeze another week into July. I could use it, too.

    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How very lucky they are to have you making the costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You need an apprentice! Looks like you are making great headway with the costumes and curtains. I've got a little bag of selvages for you too I'll leave with Annies book tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can relate to the need to elasticise. I could do with a bit of that stretch if you find it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, if you have any elasticized July left, could I borrow some? Ta.

    Can't wait to see the results of your latest obsession. Craftiness is craftiness - I say give it full steam ahead!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. the dress looks stunning Jodie clever you! What's 3 inches between friends??? and the shoes! OMG OMG amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found you via Posie. Nice to meet you. I love the selvage idea, I'll look at them differently from now on. I used to be a Melbourne girl but now live in the UK. I wondered whether you ever went to the Galleon cafe in St Kilda and saw their emergency ric rac display?

    ReplyDelete
  22. if you figure out how to cram another week into july, please share the info!!
    the printed fabric is gorgeous, i love those blue houses.
    i have never tried screen printing so i can't give you any pointers :-(

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know what that editor is one about! Of course you must try the printing and then blog about it please 'cos I've always wanted to have a go but don't know where to start!!
    Thanks to the editor too for reminding me that I have candlemaking and mosaic stuff languishing in the loft...humph!!

    I'm loving that beautiful Dorothy dress and, by the way, if you have any left over elastic I could do with a bit :)

    ...off to Google 'resin casting' - sounds like something I should try.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. your work is very nice, thank you for the tutorials!!
    I link your page!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You can save time if you make Dorothy wear one high shoe and one flat, no-one will notice the hem is a bit off! You HAVE to screen print, come to the really messy side of craft - you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'd like to elacticize 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Maybe we could elasticize each day an hour or so and designate it the sewing hour. love, love love those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  28. awwww I want that dress!!!!!it is soooooo cute,follow the yellow brick road,follow the yellow brick road follow follow follow.....
    LOVE it and love the idea of stretching july!!!hugs Dees

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the Dorothy dress. Funny I should see this on your blog since I *just* made a dress for my daughter. (She's 3 and is in love with Wizard of Oz).

    Antoinette :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello, I'm new to Ric Rac but have seen you in so many favourites lists and seen your lovely birdcages received by several of the above commenters so I've come to pay a visit.

    Screen printing? Sounds seriously exciting. I'm learning enamelling right now and touting for tips. I love the list in your editor's note - I've been there with so many of these too (ahh, the days of candlemaking), but like Lesley, I've never heard of resin casting. Intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Have you found the elastic yet?
    Good luck fitting everything in!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my giddy aunt, I just looked at your button ring tutorial. I need a lie down - too excited!! Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi there, I love dorothys dress!!! About the screenprinting, you should be able to make your screens through your schools art department. I made about 100 screen printed t-shirts in my VCE/yr 12 as yr 12 momento project. My project partner and I tie-dyed them and people could choose from 6 or so different print designs. I have often wished for a gocco, but a think a screen print set up sould be more versatile and cost effective.. Havent got brain space to actually do the sums right now.. Check with your schools art teacher..
    Ps - the bird cage kits look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Birthday!

    http://www.chinesepal.cn/first/learn-chinese/index.htm

    ReplyDelete

Hellloooooo !!!!